Summer is a great time to relax, unwind and enjoy the simple things in life. Whether you head to the cottage, the local beach or just chill on the porch, don’t forget to treat your dog to some summer fun along the way.
Here are our top tips to make sure you and your fur baby have your best summer yet!
1. Plan a Doggy Beach Day: So many dog breeds love to swim and right now is the perfect time to beat the heat with a trip to the waterfront. Here in Hamilton, there are a few great places to splash around with your pup such as the dog beach at Confederation Beach Park.
Consider bringing a ball for some splashy games of fetch and pack a few extra towels for your dog (and your car!), water shoes (for rocky areas) and your swimsuit!
2. Explore a New Trail: During the cooler hours of the day, take some time to walk that trail you’ve always wanted to try out. Like any outdoor summer adventure, pack lots of water (and maybe a few treats). In the Hamilton area, there are so many great places to explore – so what are you waiting for?
3. Go for Ice Cream: Nothing says summer like taking the time to enjoy some soft-serve and sprinkles at your local ice cream shop. If your fur-baby can handle the dairy (and the extra calories), treat them to a doggie cone and soak in the sunset on an extra-long walk home.
4. Take Some Family Photos: Sure, you have hundreds of photos of your dog on your smartphone but when’s the last time you’ve taken a really good picture together? Summer is the perfect time to get the real camera out (or hire a photographer), bring Fido in for a bath and get the family dressed up for a photo. Not only will it be a fun family outing, but you’ll end up with a beautiful summer memory.
5. Beat the Heat Indoors: Sometimes, it’s just too hot outside for your dog. To make sure they stay entertained, it’s time to get creative with pet-friendly indoor spaces. You may want to consider checking out what fun you can have at local dog agility schools that rent by the hour. Or look into local nursing homes that allow well-behaved pets to visit with Seniors. Or simply find a pet-friendly store such as Bass Pro and walk the aisles. Or we have a pretty great Pay to Play program that gets your pup active and having fun with new doggy friends (in our humble opinion!)
Hope these tips have helped inspire your dog’s next summer adventure. Whatever you decide to do this summer, as long as your dog is with you, we are sure they are going to have a great time!